Creating image menus (menu with image icons) in Joomla 1.7
To create an image menu or add image to your menu items, you'll need to go like this:
- Prepare your image. You'll want a size like 20x20 or 25x25 px according to your menu height or width. I suggest you'll use PNG or GIF images with transparent background so the images will blend nicely in your menu. If you'd like then use this tiny home icon I created:
- Open your menu item for editing. Go to yoursite.com/administrator -> Menus -> Menu Manager -> Your menu and click on it to open the menu item for editing (the one you want to add an image to).
- On the right hand properties area find "Link Type Options"
- On the "Link Image" line click Select
- Use the uploader or type in the link to your image to tell Joomla which image you'll want to use.
* If you use the uploader then you have to click on the image that appears on the image list at the top after the download.
- After the image path (url) is set, click Insert on the upper-right of the graybox.
- Select whether you want the menu item to be only image or image plus text. This you can change with Add Menu Title (yes/no), see below.
- Save your item by clicking Apply on the top-right.
- Go and refresh your page to see how the image appears on the menu.