Solved: Open .ASD file with Word 2010
It might seem quite logical that you should be able to open a Word autorecover file with .asd extension with Word itsself by Open with -> Word. Well, unluckily Word announces that the file is of unsupported type and cannot open it.
Well, actually, it can. In Word 2010 go like this:
- Click on File
- Click Info -> Manage versions
- Click Recover unsaved documents
- Locate the folder where you have the .asd file
- Click on "All files" on the bottom right corner
- Select the .asd file and click Open to open it.
Alternative method to open ASD file:
1. Place a copy the .asd file into the unsaved files folder C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles
2. Open Word and click on File - Recent
3. Looking down the bottom of the screen you see a button/box titled "Recover Unsaved Documents"
4. Click that button/box and open the .asd file you placed in the unsaved files folder in Step 1.
NB. For Word 2007 I thought I'd set up a whole new post about my findings how to recover an .asd file with Word 2007.
Here-s a fake tweet for you. Try creating one yourself and have a laugh. After all, you just recovered your work :)